Thursday, June 28, 2007

To Piss Off Thousands of Fanboys

I'm trying to not make this a Geek-Fest Blog, but just sharing some ideas on the ending of the movie I'm making over the summer, "Batman vs. Spider-Man" or "Spider-Man vs. Batman." Whichever you prefer.

- The first ending was the one I wanted from the start. It involved Batman and Spider-Man getting into a fight in a tree, and Batman is knocked down and out. As Spider-Man leaves, Batman gets him down somehow, and they both die in an explosion from a Bat-Grenade. Then, Superman would show up once it's all said and done, with an image similar to that of the two burned out trees looking like the Twin Towers, with the two fallen heroes in the middle. Superman would do the same thing he did at the end of Superman: The Movie, which is flying around the world, causing things to go back in time. There are two downsides to this ending. First is the fact that the imagery of the Twin Towers wouldn't really make any sense, and it would be there just to be there. The second reason would be that another costume would be pretty expensive, and the effects of the trees burning would be very hard to do. However, I really like the idea. The Twin Towers/trees and Superheroes could have some connection having to do with fallen justice.


- The second ending I had in mind was basically, Batman beating the living shit out of Spider-Man. To be honest, I prefer the Bat a lot more, and that was how this whole idea got started: from arguing that Batman could kill Spider-Man. It would be the most appropriate thing for me to do, as it's in so many words, my film. I came up with the idea to make it a film, I wrote it, I'm financing it, and I'm going to direct it. But I don't hate Spider-Man. And knowing there are actually a lot more Spidey fans out there, I wouldn't want this to be a slap in the face to them. If the movie was anticipated (hopefully), then there would also be a lot of Spider-Man fans wanting to see their favorite character in action against the Caped Crusader. And then there's my friend Ted, and it would be a bit on the disrespectful side to have one of his favorite subjects of discussion killed off by one of his friends. So, I'm middle with this. I hate cop-outs who have no winner, but I'm too much of a pussy to get people mad.

- The last idea I've conceived as of now, is both heroes teaming up in the end, going towards a Bat-Signal flashing. In the middle of a battle between the two, they notice the signal, make peace, and head towards it. This would work, but then it would basically defeat the purpose of the entire fight. So, this is my least favorite at the moment, but with some work, I could do with it.

There's they both 'die', Batman wins, or they team up to fight injustice for now. More endings to come.

No comments: